Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Bits and Pieces


I’ve seen BayBe next to the High Tide but I haven’t gone in and haven’t run into anyone who has, but I saw this in of all places, The World and it made me think, how bad can getting an introduction be if you get tea and dessert at the same time? Worth considering and if it isn’t everything you want it to be with High Tide next door you can always hedge your bets and stop by for a quick pick me up and some music. It’s Thursday night and with everything doing its season finale you could afford to Tivo the last episode and go out for a quick bite.

Now you didn’t think I was going to do all that talking about self-portraits and not put up one of my own? No, I refuse to rattle anyone cage and not have the stones to show and tell.



I did this one day while I was working at the museum. Yes, there are slow days, even though this show, Expressions West is fantastic and the very best show that the Expressions crowd has ever raised or at least the best show I’ve seen since I escaped from Texas. Now that’s been six years so if you are trying to claim that I haven’t seen all that many shows you are wrong and I work there so I get to spent a lot of time with the art and know when a thing is good or bad and the selection this time was really first rate, okay, the winners are only just okay and I’ve said at least a thousand times they would be so much better if only the judges would talk to me first but being judges they insist on doing things their way and never bother to talk to me and so sometimes they pick the wrong winners but then that’s life, now isn’t it?

So I did this at the museum and it started out life as a pencil sketch. It seemed a little plain to me so being it was me doing the doing I ran it through the computer and when I had a look at it it seemed to me that it would be whole lot better if it were inverted so I inverted it and you know I was right all along. It was better.

So that’s how this became a self-portrait which got juried into the UVAA “How I See Myself” show and that is a good thing cause the Long Sufferin really, really hates it when I whine around cause I didn’t get juried in so it is really much better for all concerned if I do.

Now I am fresh out of chickens. Truth be told I don’t really have much of a relationship with chickens except for an occasional brush with the Col. And since I was rescued from the clutches of the Croaker last year I don’t have all that much chicken cause it isn’t on my meal plan and you just don’t want to know what happens when a gall bladder missing diabetic eats a bunch of good ole greasy chicken… ‘Nuff said.

But I do have a whole herd of critters running around my house and they do make wonderful subjects if you can stop laughing at the little clown long enough to shoot them cause you have to shoot them cause they never hold still for more than a half second except when they are asleep and they aren’t nearly as appealing when they are asleep cause they aren’t moving and they don’t have their little, beady devil-filled eyes darting here and there looking for the next thing that they are going to play with.

Yes, I do know I ended a sentence with a preposition and you aren’t supposed to do that as my English teacher’s from fourth grade to senior high often reminded me, but being as how I am a writer and no longer in school and know the rules so it is okay for me to break them I do and did and besides the foremost authority on English and how it should be used, Mr. Winston Churchill explained the preposition thing to a smart-assed reporter like this:

The reporter, no doubt a snot-nosed kid unaware he was speaking to the most famous man in the world corrected Mr. Churchill and reminded him that it is improper to end a sentence with a preposition. Mr. Churchill, or as I like to think of him Winston the Magnificent responded, “Young man that is an effrontery up with which I will not put!” Put that in your notebook and report it.

So here is one of my models doing what she does so well. If you are a completion freak and need the full monty to grasp the story add the caption, “For Me?”



There now you’ve seen my self-portrait and my fierce, vicious homeland security advisor and you heard a tale of Winston the Great, now isn’t it time to go do something?

No comments:

Post a Comment