Tuesday, October 11, 2011

The End is Near

We know it's coming, there's no way to stop it, it happens every year, the wet season is upon us and with it goes those happy-go-lucky, money-spending folks we like to call tourists. And that boys and girls means hard times are coming for anyone who tries to make a living selling something.

How can you tell? I know with the economy so far down the rabbit hole it really will be hard to tell, but some of the signs are empty buildings, empty beaches and closed restaurants.

I know you've been to Texas Charley's in Bandon, the Monday Plien Air guys even meet there sometimes and if you have you know that they make just about the best brisket in all of Coos County. Now maybe it's just homesickness or some strange side-effect from my diabetes, but being a former Texan, bar-b-que is a tradition and not to be forgotten.

Sure I could do it myself, I used to cook out all the time back in arid, hot, dry Texas, but here, with the wind and the rain, I'm partial to folks who do that sort of thing for me. In my weakened condition it's all I can do to chew much less tend brisket cooked over a slow fire!. No, I'll buy my ribs, (Coach House if you please) and brisket (Texas Charley's) and be satisfied that I didn't have rain drops falling on my head.

But with the slowing of the tourist season some places will be hard put to keep the doors open and the fires burning, like Texas Charley's. You don't really want that to happen. Where will artists find comfort and sustenance in the bleak rain-soaked months ahead?

So if you haven't go and if you have go back. Let's keep the doors open and the brisket coming. And if you see my doctor, mum's the word.





No comments:

Post a Comment