Saturday, September 24, 2011

ECCENTRIC ARTISTS - SUNDAY OCT 2ND - EVERYONE WELCOME 3

Three Eccentrics

Odd, Whimsical, Beyond the Norm



David Castleberry


Nan Forsberg-Hammons


Shinan Barclay

Present their unique creativity

September and October, 2011

Evergreen Court, Baycrest Village

451 O’Connell St. North Bend, OR 541 756-7658

Reception Sunday, October 2nd, 1-3 pm. Meet the Artists



David Castleberry has been on a thirty-five year adventure, developing his unique, visual language. Through a relentless exploration into finding what’s important to him, he then created imagery that reflects that meaning. “Art is a way to express my values, hopes, dreams, fears—everything that makes me who I am,” he says. “What makes my work eccentric is that I refuse to be limited by what others have done. Rules in art keep one safe not exciting. It is not what you put into the art but what you fight to keep out. It all comes down to not being held captive by any idea but your own.”
Shinan Barclay began thinking outside of the box while teaching in an Arctic Inuit village. But long before that, she’d begun coloring outside of the lines when she was knee high to a grasshopper. The middle child of seven, born to artist parents who met at the Chicago Art Institute, Shinan dabbles in art, even writing reviews for the San Diego Museum of Modern Art. Recently she discovered that the “Artist Archetype” resides within the sphere of her home. “I don’t call myself a painter, yet,” she says, “I just show up and delight in the surprises that appear on my watercolor paper.”

Nan Forsberg-Hammons’ paintings and collages reflect her world-view. Her shows are an eclectic gathering, sharing with the viewer her sense of awe and appreciation of beauty, light and ideas. “As an artist,” Nan says, “I’m not interested in painting a pretty picture. I want to capture the energy behind what we see with our eyes. A song by Leonard Cohen says ‘Everything’s got a crack in it; that’s how the light gets in.’ I keep trying to paint that light.” Juried into National and International shows, Nan’s work garners numerous awards.



“Art is the accomplice of love.”

Shinan Barclay @ Facebook

http://www.facebook.com/shinan.barclay

No comments:

Post a Comment