Thursday, October 24, 2013

Turning the Corner

When you are walking the things that you do seem automatic, stepping, stopping, not getting run over by a buss, you know all of the stuff that you have been doing since way back before the invention of the printing press and you’ve got it down pat on account of you’ve been doing it since way back before the invention of the printing press and you don’t need any help you just do it and so why bother talking about it at all.

Because along with all of that automatic stuff there is a whole lot going on that you know about but you just don’t think about cause its automatic which means that you don’t have to think about it and that’s why it’s automatic.

Like turning a corner…

There is a lot of brain power involved in doing that one simple thing. How come you went that way instead of this? And how come you crossed the street at that point and not at the crosswalk where you are supposed to on account of giving the guys in those great big heavy hard to stop cars a bit of a warning instead of just stepping out off the curb and going willy-nilly across the street any which way you want making them lean down on the brake and pull back on the steering wheel and praying that they can stop before you run their insurance rates sky high.

So what does all of this have to do with art and why am I boring you with this instead of telling you about some important art event on the South Coast and why have you bothered to read this blog if all it is going to talk about is walking, talking and thinking?

Because I haven’t been doing a lot of thinking for the last eighteen months or so.

When you find out that you have an illness that needs ongoing treatment and it will make you go places you don’t want to go and do things that you don’t want to do, (No that is not like taking out the trash or putting the can out on the road on trash day), it sucks up all of the extra brain power that you might have had free to think about art.

Just keeping up with the blog on a semi-regular basis has been challenging. I have posted as often as I could between appointments at the Croakers and I have sought out and posted art events which many of you have kindly passed along to me but I haven’t really put my nose to the grindstone for the last six months.

All of which means that I have lost my moxie when it comes to the blog and I have to get back in the groove and hit it every day so that I can get my moxie back cause being without your moxie, which is a soft drink peculiar to Washington state and Maine but also a slang term for smarts and cunning which is the moxie I am talking about is a very bad thing, that refers back to the part about being without your moxie just in case you got lost in the sentence structure which Mrs. Kaidenhead swore I never really understood and then my Freshman English instructor said that everyone had learned how to write a simple English sentence except the Ole Trawler so you could have gotten lost seeing as how the subject was so far remove from the predicate but the whole point is it is a bad thing to be without your moxie.

Now I plan to get back into the grove and get my moxie back but it may take a while so bear with me. I was shocked when I looked at the calendar and saw that it didn’t have any appointments with the Quack scheduled and you can see how that might throw off a guy who has been bouncing back and forth between the Quack and the Croaker for the last eight or nine months, twice a week and extra on Sundays.

And the reason is that on my last visit Dr. Ross in concurrence with Dr. Goenenne said that the problem was completely resolved which is doctor speak for done.

So you can see how that might throw me off my game cause with all the free time not having to visit the Croaker or the Quack I was a bit lost. Now there is good news on the horizon, I have dentist appointments to ease my way back into “Real Life” so I can count on that for a little break from all of this troublesome free time, but it won’t last forever.

And that means I will have to divert some of that idle brain power away from walking down the street and back to writing the blog.

It may actually take a few weeks to get my moxie back but if you have lasted with me this long, what’s a few more weeks?

Now on to the important part and it could be fun cause I have a special favor to ask you that will be fun for you cause it always was for me back before I became sickly and old and the Quack said I couldn’t do it any more on account of being a Diabetic and it being really not at all a good idea for Diabetics to drinks so I’m asking you to take up the slack and get in there and drink your share and mine when Seven Devil’s brewery opens its doors!

I think taking the time to master all of the intricacies of learning how, getting the equipment, find the right receipt and getting funding and then trying to encourage the public, that’s you, to do something they are dead set against like having fun and drinking beer is a terribly brave and artsy thing to do.

So prove to me that you have the community spirit and the will to support the Arts in Coos County and bring you bottles and buckets and troughs and bladders down to Seven Devils brewery and form a long line so that the owners, those brave and artsy folks don’t have to give up their beer making and go find a real job!

It’s a hard thing to ask but I’m betting that the arts community of Coos County can belly up to the bar with the bets of them. Remember you’re drinking for the Ole Trawler too so make it a pint/glass of Seven Devils finest!

No comments:

Post a Comment