Friday, July 15, 2011

Change is good

When last we spoke, I was ranting on about going through your files to find something you could update to make an interesting entry in a show. It just didn't seem fair to winge at you and not share some of my own experiences.

I was doing some research on the Net looking for an inexpensive way to scan slides without spending money. Money is for framing, right? And I did find an article which showed a simple and inexpensive way to use a flatbed scanner to scan in old slides. Voile! I said. I made the little bugger and low and behold it does work. The resulting scans are nothing to write home about, but they do get the old slide out of the shoebox and into the computer where some good can come of it.

So here is a picture I took about 1973...



Beautiful, but somewhat less than prefect after all of this time in a slide box being banged about all over the country. I told you the process was cheap and could be done in your very own home so no snickering about the quality of the result.

I could have just cleaned up the image and run it through a scratch and dust filter and made some adjustments to the color spectrum, but that wouldn't really do for making something new so I didn't do that I did do some tweaking to the image and this is what I came up with...



Not so aesthetically pleasing, but totally new and different.

And this is what I meant about searching through the work you have already done. I didn't even have this in the computer when I started. I had to find a way to scan in the slide and then make some decisions about how I wanted to clean it up so that it could work for some show in the near or distant future.

You won't know what you have until you take a look. Maybe there's a Picasso lurking in your storage room?

No comments:

Post a Comment