Monday, January 6, 2014

Lane County Current Exhibit


Andreas Salzman
Sabbatical Exhibition
 January 6th to February 13th
 
Lecture and Reception on January 22nd, 2:00 pm.

The Lane Community College Art Gallery is proud to present the Sabbatical Exhibition of Andreas Salzman.

Andreas Salzman has been a Sculpture and Ceramics instructor in the Department of Art and Applied Design for over 10 years. His personal work consists of mixed media with an emphasis in wood and clay. His work has been showcased both nationally and internationally include several recent exhibitions in Italy.

During the Spring term of 2012, Andreas used his sabbatical to begin researching his next body of work. He stated, "My sabbatical was the opportunity to appreciate where my career has been and to begin the task of creating source material for the next phase of my creative profession."

The show runs from January 6th to February 13th. There will be a lecture and reception on Wednesday, January 22nd at 2:00 pm.


 
 
Guillermo Peñafiel, 
New Old Stories; Scotland  
 
January 6th - February 13th 
 
Lecture and Reception on January 15th at 3:00 pm.

The Lane Community College Art Gallery is proud to present the exhibition, New Old Stories; Scotland by photographerGuillermo Peñafiel.

Guillermo Peñafiel is a contemporary photographer working in traditional silver gelatin printing. Originally from Chile, South America, he is currently a professor of Photography at the University of Wisconsin, Stevens Point.

"In the past I have referred to my work as the record of non-events. In this work,
the ideas behind these Memories are as solid as thoughts of possible future occurrences and are often as real as current experience. The feeling of a child's first nightmare is as strong and as relevant in adulthood as it was the morning after the episode. History lessons in the classroom, novels read late at night, stories by firelight, invade our thoughts. The philosophies and abstract concepts I have adopted through time have coalesced into a nebula where original thought and appropriated ideas become almost indistinguishable. I focus on my ability to extract information from my memories and transcribe it into images that, although based on specific observation, are not literal translations or descriptions of one isolated incident. My work is a reflection of how I perceive reality, and it contains evidence of both a struggle and a balance between the need for control and an urge for spontaneous disorder. The images I construct are, to some extent, predetermined in my mind before they are laid down on paper, but I am always surprised by how little they resemble the original mental construct, and how closely they express the spirit of the idea. The pieces I consider successful establish connection to my intellect and to my senses; they exhibit a synergistic effect beyond my control. They reaffirm my belief that our shaping of reality is concurrent to reality's shaping of ourselves."


The show runs from January 6th through February 13th. There will be a lecture and reception on Wednesday, January 15th at 3:00 pm.


LCC Art Gallery
Department of Art and Applied Design
Building 11
Lane Community College
4000 30th Ave E. 
Eugene, OR 97405
541-463-5409
Hours: Monday - Thursday, 8:00 - 5:00
             Friday, 8:00 - 4:00

No comments:

Post a Comment