Monday, December 17, 2012

Duck Herding

It’s that time of the year when everyone is filled with expectation and anticipation, what will Santa bring me?

Sure that is narrow and self-serving and much like most humans. You can’t get around the notion that your own desires and dreams take first place no matter how generous your spirit is.

And this year, for me Santa came early. He brought me a great, big, fat, kidney stone. Yeppers this puppy is about the size of a large cherry pit or a small almond, take your pick. No, it didn’t hurt and probably wouldn’t until it got lodged in the traffic lane and sent me screaming off into the night.

It was discovered when I went in for routine tests and I have been a slave of the medical profession ever since.

Now why does that matter to you or what do you care or why am I talking up space in a blog about art to write about my own personal medical problems?

Two reasons, first, it means that I won’t be able to post regularly for the foreseeable future. No, I don’t think it is a big, hairy problem, but it will require some time spent in the hospital. You see once a stone gets that big they have to bring out the heavy equipment to go get it and that will require digging and drilling and cutting and most likely I won’t be sitting at the computer after all of that gets done.

I can’t even give you an idea of what they are going to do with me, cause they haven’t decided yet. Seems that I need more tests and then more consultations and more appointments and then maybe they’ll get around to the drilling rig.

The last word is there is no last word.

And second, I want to remind you that this can happen to anyone, at any time, and I hope that you have been taking advantage of the time you have so that when you get that impacted hangnail and have to go in for a complete nail resection you will have all of your ducks in a row, (Clever how he worked in a sports reference), and if you haven’t gotten all of your ducks in a row then there will be hell to pay cause at this late date there is hardly any time left for duck herding and then there’s Christmas just around the corner and where will you find time to herd the ducks if you are trying to get ready for the holiday and that’s why you have to stay on top of things all of the time and use the time you have to your best advantage and keep everything up to date so that if one little duck goes wandering off you don’t have to shut down the whole Megillah to go and herd that duck.

Fortunately, as you know I am organized, and prepared and anticipated and ready for all natural and unnatural disasters so this is just a big pain in the azimuth and not a real, honest-to-God crisis.

I have my Christmas Cards made and ready for addressing, the out-of-town cards are all ready addressed and mailed, I have the image for next year’s Christmas Card ready, in fact I have two and might not be able to decide which one I want to use until next October, but I have them and will make a decision providing I am not still in the clutches of the Croakers.

Now the Long Sufferin’ and I are old so there isn’t much hurrah around Christmas any more. We find a great gift idea we can share, do a bit of TV and then rub Mentholatum Deep Heat rub and wait for a tingle. That’s the whole Christmas experience for us. So there’s not much preparation to that and that’s a good thing cause I am pretty sure the Croaker is going to insist on having our schedule meet his schedule whether we want to do that or not, so it is a good thing that we don’t have all that many obligations and can do pretty much whatever he wants us to do without upsetting anyone’s travel plans or missing the big-time parties or feasting that goes on at this time of the year.

But we can do that cause we have gotten all of those duck lined up.

So here’s the question for you. How are your ducks doing?

If something unforeseen came up could you drop everything and do it without upsetting every apple cart in all of Coos County and you have to think just how bad that would be cause apples this time of year are hard to come by and if you go around upsetting apple carts then you spoil those apples and folks won’t have any apples for pies or ambrosia or stuffing in stockings if you are of the traditional mind set.

And that is why it is so important that you get busy right now and make sure all of your projects are tidied up and ready in case you have to pass the ball to someone else. There are only so many people who could step in and finish your latest project if it isn’t perfectly set up and you don’t want to have unfinished business hanging over your head while the Croaker pokes and prods and hums behind your back.

Just what is it that makes doctors think that they are doing you a big favor when they look at your chart, walk around behind you and say, “Hmmm?” Don’t they get it that that is worse than saying, “You have halitosis and there just isn’t anything else the medical profession can do for you.”

So, right this minute, resolve to finish what you have started, make plans that can be followed if you have to do something else and have all of your work ready for shows just in case you aren’t available to get it out of the closet and dusted in time.

Do this and I can promise you a happy New Year.

Now as for me, well, I’ll be here when they let me have access to a computer and I’ll let you know when they let me know and then we’ll plot and plan for just what sort of mischief we’re going to get into after that holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment