Friday, April 20, 2012

Canvased

 
Have you ever wondered what your work would look like if you were a painter?

Now you know I am a photographer and happy about it, but there are times when I create an image which begs to be on canvas. Or maybe it’s a delicate watercolor style floral and there I am trying to choose between glossy and matte.

Some of the new papers, the Metalics and the Lusters can give a new dimension to photography, but nothing makes a piece stand out like canvas.

But now I don’t have to wonder any more. Staples, yes, the office supply people, have decided to make prints on canvas something the average artist can afford. I get email propaganda from Staples on a regular basis, mostly overpriced laptops and tablets, (I’m still not sure what you’d do with a tablet. They are sort of like a laptop with a broken lid.), and all-in-one printers which make life so much easier by doing all things badly.

This week, I got a special offer which is so special I have to share it with you. For the rest of the month, yes, the whole ten days, you can get any digital file printed on canvas 16 X 20 for $29.95. Now if you’ve not done this before and you probably haven’t, it may strike you as outrageous, but I’m telling you, $29.95 is a bargain! You would have to pay fifty dollars or more for this sized print. I know cause the Long Suffering occasionally wants her work done this way so I not only have to order it, but have to hock the dog to pay for it.

Even better I discovered, no not like Columbus’ original voyage to find the new world, but by asking, that the regular price is $39.95. That is also a bargain. And it is by my somewhat faulty calculations a twenty-five percent reduction if you act now. That’s better than getting two Lint Lizards for only $10.95 plus shipping and handling!

I know, you are thinking it costs so much to frame a print, what in the world would a canvas floater cost? Well, why not get a couple or so done and the take a trip down to Art Connection, in their brand new location or Easy Lane Frames in their brand not-so new location and ask. They’ll tell you and do the job and when you get to see how spiffy your work will look in one of those professionally done frames you’ll feel the burning desire to fork out the cash and have something which makes those giant gilt frames look stylish and besides with the Maritime Show just around the corner you’ll need something to make your work stand out, cause you know that Dutch is going to be in the Maritime show and trying to out maritime Dutch Mostert is not something you want to try first thing in the morning.

So take a look at your work and think about what you might like to see on canvas just like the other artists in Coos County and the hurry down to Staples and get busy before the end of the month so that you can take advantage of the savings.

Oh yes, did I tell you the really good news? Canvas can be had in what they call a gallery wrap which means they print it all the way out to the edges and then staple it to the stretcher frame and if they mount it that way you don’t have to have a frame to be accepted by many of the shows and not having to have a frame means money in your pocket and you’d like that wouldn’t you? So why haven’t you packed up your portfolio disc and made tracks to Staples?

No, I do not have stock in Staples. In fact my relationship with Staples has been problematic. I wanted to buy a laptop there and the assistant store manager was too busy and wouldn’t give my salesman the stock room key so they missed out on that sale and I got a better deal elsewhere and have my laptop anyway and that is why I don’t really like Staples, but I am too cheap to pass up on a great deal even if it comes from my sworn enemy so I’ll go and do it and tell you all about it and if you want you can wait and see what happens to me and then go and pay the regular price which isn’t all that bad and that would be the smart thing to do but then you’d miss out on the sale so you have to take your best shot and do what you think is best.

And in the meantime I’ll do it and report back to you, okay?

No comments:

Post a Comment