Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Snow Day

Did you take a snow day?

I won't tell. It was dark, cold and the snow was piled high when I got up and the only thing I wanted was a cup of strong tea.

No, I don't drink coffee any more. too many deep nights drinking police coffee. You know the stuff, just cut off a plug and stick it between cheek and gum. So after running around the ceiling for a coupla days I gave it up.

Then a few years back, the Long suffering and I went to London. there are some people who would call sucha trip a trip to England, but once you have been to the Capitol City of the World you will know there is a difference between London and England.

While in London, Dr Johnson was right, "When a man is tired of London he is tired of life!", i picked up two new habits, drinking English beer and tea. I've had to give up the beer, the life of a diabetic is painfully  austere, but I've kept on drinking tea.

Can't get John Smith's Smooth over here anyway so giving up beer wasn't all that hard. tea, well, the tea they drink isn't the pale boiled water we see here, no it is rich, red, powerful stuff and I've been completely unable to get my eyes open without a cuppa.

So I still operate on caffeine drive just from a different source. they have Twinnings English Breakfast tea at the Safeway in North Bend, you should get a tin and try it, you'll never drink coffee again.

So there I was staring out of my fogged windows looking at the white stuff while my tea brewed. I don't actually brew it. I cheat. I make it in a Mr. Coffee and that works just fine. and after about ten minutes or so I noticed it was snowing.

Fast on the uptake, I know. So I started making my plans at that moment, water-proof shoes, heavy coat, gloves and camera, tucked between me and the coat and once soaked in tea, out i went to take advantage of the second snow fall of this winter.

It really hasn't been much of a winter, mostly warm and rainy, so a snow event is delightful. the Long Suffering had to go in to Coos bay and open the museum, so she wasn't too happy, but I was fine. after all i didn't have to drive on the slick stuff!

I didn't venture far from the house. My thermostat is kinda messed up from y adventure with the Croaker last summer. I actually get cold!. That's never happened before. I've always had to hide from the sun and the heat and living in Texas for most of my life you can imagine how much fun I had form March to October. But since coming to Oregon I've enjoyed the strange new world of the outside. Now I'm having to wrap up before I go out, but you can always put on enough clothes to stay warm, the opposite is not true and may even be against the law.

*Cultural note: If a woman takes off all of her clothes and jumps nekkid into a fountain, it's a photo-op. If a man does the same thing its a felony!

So there I was looking like I just escaped from the Peanuts comic strip, layered to the point that there was some question about whether my joints would still work, trudging around in the snow taking pictures, cause you can't get snow pictures except when it snows and aren't painters lucky that they can get snow pictures anytime they want them because they can create any kind of climate they like but photographers have to go out in the snow if they want snow pictures.

And I got them.


And I hope that you grabbed your coffee and camera and went out to lay in a stock of snowy pictures to Currier your Ives for the rest of the winter!

No comments:

Post a Comment