Sunday, October 21, 2012

The Six O'Clock Report



So I did get around to taking some good pictures with the amazing salvaged from the Salvation Army Olympus D600L.

The camera was one of the first DSLRs made and still takes a quality picture if somewhat limited by the storage space of the obsolete SmartMedia card.

But it works and on a recent trip to Charleston I took a few quick snaps just to get a feel for the old girl. I was amazed by the quality of the images and by the depth of the colors rendered by the frankly ancient, (by digital standards), CCD.

The CCD is the Charge-coupled device which serves as film in digital cameras. The current standard is around fifteen megapixels for standard point and shoot model and up to twenty-two for the high price whiz-bangs.

The D600L has a one megapixel CCD so there is a bit of difference in the available pixel count for quality purposes, but from the look of these images the camera produces as good an image as can be had within the limits of one megapixel.


Take a look and keep in mind that the cost was one dollar and the card that was thoughtfully left in the camera by the previous owner is worth fifteen dollars on Ebay so the trade off isn’t so bad.

Take a look at Mr. Crow Bird. I hadn’t intended to try and catch him on the fly but since it happened I’m not unhappy with the results.



The boat heading out for a day’s fishing was a gift and I didn’t see it until it was past me and had to shoot over my shoulder and on the run. Not at all bad for a quick snap and it gives a good look at the way fishing parties start the day.



I can’t resist these little gray guys. The big birds treat them horribly and they have to toughen up or die so the little guy with the big heart shows a lot of Moxie to get in their and bluff it out with the adults. I’m not sure how bold I’d be if I had to risk a nip from one of those spiky beaks.



So that’s the latest on the old camera project and I have to say I’m pleased with the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment